(erielack) Fwd: [AnthraciteRR] Archives, Archiving, and Usage.

In a message dated 4/4/2007 3:36:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
acoalrr_@_yahoo.com writes:

.

To: anthraciterr_@_yahoogroups.com
From: Peter Brill <acoalrr_@_yahoo.com>
Sender: anthraciterr_@_yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:35:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [AnthraciteRR] Archives, Archiving, and Usage.

Bob,

       I can second your commendation of Pat McKnight.  He was very helpful in providing me with a substantial number of photocopies on topics of interest in the Steamtown archives.  Plus, he has posted substantial material on several websites in response to requests for information.  Anyone with an interest in archive preservation and some available time might consider volunteering to help Pat.  The sooner he is able to catalog his material the sooner it is available for us to use in articles, books, etc.

  Pete Brill

Dlw1el2_@_aol.com wrote:
            For several months an article I had started had been on hold and going no where for lack of Valuation Maps ( Valve Maps ) which are very detailed maps of the Railroad and all the facilities on the property. They were produced by all Railroads during and just after World War 1 to show the federal government what each Railroad had. Each map shows approximately one mile worth of property.

  One of the really nice things about the ELHS archives is that they have a lot ( not quite a complete set) of Valve Prints. The bad thing for me is that they are in Ohio, not quite conducive for me to stop by and look at.  My next option was to buy about six or seven at about 80-100 bucks, which I was willing to do to move this project forward. The next snag I then hit was that the company that did the scanning of these maps, for which I'm told  the Society got a good deal, does not deal retail and thus needs a minimum order of about 40 to do any printing, of maps they have already scanned. :(  Hmm  is all I'll say about that.   I was not willing to spend three or four hundred dollars on a minimum order.

  The Tri State Historical Society NRHS Chapter did a great deed about 20 years ago when it rescued the material out of Hoboken that other wise would have become part of the meadowlands dump, like a lot of other material did.  The other great deed they did is finally turn it over to Steamtown Historic Site so that for the first time in 20 years it can start to be  cataloged and  more importantly used.  Somewhere along the line in the last six weeks I guess I mentioned to  Pat McKnight at Steamtown, just in passing, my predicament pertaining to valve prints.  Low and behold in only the five weeks that Pat has had the Tri State collection he found and totally catalogs, files, and boxes  several hundred valve prints and then on his own contacts me stating he thinks he has exactly what I need. I was skeptical and exuberantly optimistic at the same time.

   BTW. I should also mention that Pats and one of his volunteers also previously with in 10 days of having the Tri State collection forwarded to me copies of material out of another completely different file on a subject that they knew I had an interest in.

  So that another friend could go with me on the weekend, Pat graciously gave up three hours of his day off, and met us at Steamtown Saturday morning.  When we walked in, there were six large boxes lay ed out on the research table.  All contained Valve Prints in brand new folders, marked and cataloged in order by the reference number on the valve print.   After finding the print at three different locations that I needed Pat made large Xeroxes of just what we needed.  When we left Steamtown  that morning it hadn't cost me a penny, only a VERY BIG THANK YOU.

  The rest of the day was successfully spent locating three very obscure locations and documenting and measuring eight additional structures. A VERY good day in the field indeed. With out the maps we would have never found what we were looking for in 100 years, but because of Pat McKnights generosity and willingness to help, I now won't have to live that long. :)

  When I  try to relate to the reality of the whole scenario, I feel very lucky, and have a sense that it just doesn't get any better than that.

  Bob Bahrs

  PS. Thanks Again Pat

  See what's free at AOL.com.

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate