(erielack) Re: EL Mail List Digest V3 #2340

A few things to bear in mind here:

PRR owned over 80% of the LV by 1962 and did try to hand it off to C&O and
N&W; PRR and N&W each owned about half of the NKP and Wabash; C&O owned 40%
of the RDG until 1972; and I'm not sure to what extent the B&O was tied to
the CNJ, but it was B&O money - and B&O engines - that kept that road going
after 1965, to the point of the paint scheme being a clone of the B&O's (it
was a lot cheaper to just reletter those 8 SD40s and all the old junkers B&O
sent over).  Pretty sure the C&O/B&O were tied to each other from the late
50's if not earlier.

Which, as an amusing side note it would be funny to photoshop a new CSX blue
unit to read CNJ.

But my main point is the reason most of these mergers went the direction
they did is because other roads owned parts or most of them, so they had the
say into what went where.  MARC-EL I don't think is possible without the
bankruptcies and court/gov't intervention of post-1971.

What's still strange is the N&W sending TOFC trains to the PRR/PC controlled
LV at Buffalo even though it owned/controlled the EL and could have sent
them that way.

Bill K.