Re: (erielack) Re: Transition

At 09:39 PM 3/31/2007, you wrote:

>"Transition" - at a high level - is when a diesel-electric's
>electrical system is changed from a parallel to series (and
>backwards) system. I can't remember what the initial state is, but
>the traction motor can be wired in parallel (output from generator
>is fanned out to each traction motor) or in series (output of
>generator goes to one traction motor, which then outputs the next
>traction motor, and so on)
>
>      - Paul

I do believe this is not entirely correct (but I could be wrong).
Transition refers to the change in electrical characteristics of the
individual traction motors by operating the individual motors either
as series motors where the armature is in series with the field, or
as parallel where the armature is in parallel with the field. A
series wound motor produces very high starting torque and is the way
they're operated when starting to move and then they're changed to
parallel operation when under way. I don't believe that the motors
themselves are connected in series with the generator, but as I've
said, I could be wrong on that.

Joe K.