Re:Re: (erielack) ERIE steam - K5s

On 2/23/07, I outlined the principal boiler and firebox dimensions of the USRA light and heavy pacifics and the USRA heavy mikado, showing that the heavy 4-6-2 boiler was 2" bigger than the light pacific and 8" smaller than the heavy mikado at the smokebox, and sandbox, and 4" larger and 6"smaller, respectivly, at the dome.  The firebox on the two heavy USRAs were identical, being 6" longer than the light USRA.

The K5 boiler, therefore, was much closer to a light USRA 4-6-2 with a heavy USRA 2-8-2 firebox than it was to a heavy USRA 2-8-2 with a 4-6-2 wheel arrangement.  Trying to use a USRA heavy mikado superstructure to model a USRA heavy pacific would be, in my opinion, a last choice.

Randy Brown
 The Heavy Pacifics had an
almost identical boiler as the USRA Heavy Mikes and
were a larger diameter in all the boiler coarses than
the light mikes and pacifics. and were inly minutely
different than the heavy mike boilers.

Rich Young