Re: (erielack) EL around Youngstown

Ed

Actually the Second sub was part of the mainline of the Atlantic and Great Western, which connected with the the New York and Erie at Salamanca. Since the A&GW was not built to high engineering standards, the Second sub was a bit of a rollercoaster. The First sub was originally the Cleveland and Mahoning Valley, which was well-documented in the recent Diamond series. The two were evntually merged into the Erie. They crossed at SN tower in Leavittsburg; the crossing plant included two double-slip switches which were uncommon in mainline use. The eastern half of the First sub makes an acute turn in Youngstown to head for Pymatuning. I can't recall the origin of this portion, whether it was originally an A&GW branch or if it was built as a connector by the Erie once it acquired the two RR's; I'm thinking the latter.

Paul B

From: "Montgomery, Edward T" <Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu>
Subject: (erielack) EL around Youngstown

I have always wondered how Erie and EL operated around Youngstown.  At
one time there probably was a lot of local freight operation.  I imagine
that Youngstown was one of the larger originators of freight on the west
end of the line.  Erie built the Pymatuming (sp?) cut-off for through
freights to bypass Youngstown.  How much was this line used?  Was it
built on the level of the Nicholson or Lackawanna cut-off?  Did it have
easy grades?  Was this line ever considered for use by CR?  I don't
think it exists any more, does it?