Re: (erielack) EL around Youngstown

Montgomery, Edward T wrote:

>I have always wondered how Erie and EL operated around Youngstown.  At
>one time there probably was a lot of local freight operation.  I imagine
>that Youngstown was one of the larger originators of freight on the west
>end of the line.  Erie built the Pymatuming (sp?) cut-off for through
>freights to bypass Youngstown.  How much was this line used?

When I was riding the GE test locomotive 750 A-D every though train want
via the cutoff so I never went through Youngstown.

> Was it built on the level of the Nicholson or Lackawanna cut-off?  Did it have
>easy grades?

AIR no way.  On one of the first trips west out of Meadville coming down
the hill into Warren an air hose broke.  I walked back with the had
brakeman with e air hose and wrench.  There was a note in the ETT that
trains were not supposed to stop on the hill as it was next to a state pen.

bob gillis