(erielack) Glen Alden Coal

>Any idea how the name Glen Alden came about or where it came from?

For once the Wikipedia let me down...I thought Glen Alden was the name
of a mine complex I remembered reading about in the trancsript from the
hearings held during the 1902 strike. But all my quick search has found is
The Glen Alden Coal Company had been formed during 1920 by officers of
the DL&W Coal Mining Department and affiliated DL&W Coal Company from
the assets of the independent Pine Valley Coal Company. The Glen Alden
Coal Company mined and processed coal and then sold it exclusively to
the DL&W Coal Mine Department who marketed it under the trade name Blue
Coal. Late during the 1930s, Maxwell No. 20 was razed and the ultra
modern Huber Breaker erected in its place, just a short distance north
of the old breaker's location. - northwest view, Circa 1938 - Glen Alden
Coal Company/Raymond E. Holland Collection  Right - The sprawling Huber
Breaker was the final and most modern colliery constructed in the
anthracite fields. In this early 1950s view it is still business as
usual. Soon the long declining demand for coal will falter enough to
encourage the stockholders of the Glen Alden Coal Company to sell their
remaining coal mining properties along with the Blue Coal trade name to
the Moffat Coal Company in 1953. - southwest view, Circa 1953 - Jack De
Rosset Collection
from http://www.gingerb.com/cnj_ashley.htm

I found some other websites that either substantiated this..or were flat
out wrong..(according to 1, the CRRNJ  bought the DL&W!!!)    And it
seems that most people remember relatives working for Glen Alden, not
DL&W. It appears that by the 1960's Glen Alden had acquired most of the
other former RR related anthracite ops.

- -- Hope this helps

Frank
"Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic;
 but destroy our farms and grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country." - William Jennings Bryan

"If we go across the border, there will always be one more sanctuary just beyond the one we clean out"-John Paul Vann

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"-Benjamin Franklin

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?" -Alan Keyes