Re: (erielack) Re: Erie Steam Locomotives

Rick,

I'm not familiar with the location and layout of SN interlocking.  I take
it that most trains didn't have to slow down through the interlocking if
they weren't switching tracks(??)

Chuck

             RJFlei_@_aol.com
             Sent by:
             erielack-owner_@_li                                          To
             sts.elhts.org             erielack_@_lists.elhts.org
                                                                        cc

             02/21/2007 03:03                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: (erielack) Re: Erie Steam
                                       Locomotives

             Please respond to
              "EL Mail List"
             <erielack_@_lists.e
                 lhts.org>

Chuck,

I know that the K-5's were regulars on the Cleveland line. From talking to

an oldtimer or two I found out that the K-5 class engines got a chance to
stretch there legs on this line. Supposedly, if a passenger train  was
behind
schedule there was NO speed limit. One instance one guy told me (a former
operator at SN, now deceased), said one was doing 90 MPH. eastbound and had
to  slow
down to go through the SN interlocking.

When you look at the Erie K-5 and K-5A's, they match up very well with
other
big Pacifics. I'm speaking of the B&O P-7, PRR K-4s, NYC K-5, C&O  F-19. If

you ever get a chance take a look at the dimensional drawings of these
engines
and you immediately see the similarities.

When you consider the K-5A's had a booster engine you quickly see that  the

Erie engines would also out-pull many of these engines even in the lower
speed
ranges. That booster engine gives you the pulling power of a light  4-8-2.

One guy that lived to see these engines firsthand said that there was
nothing like a K5A starting a train in downtown Warren, Oh. With all the
buildings
close by the exhaust sounded like a rifle shot when one started a  train. I

wish I could have seen this, myself.

Rick Fleischer
at
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp.  Most comprehensive set of free
safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across
the
web, free AOL Mail and much more.