(erielack) Erie Management

Schuyler,

Great input. Yes, Erie/D&H/B&M would have been a very good  combination,
especially with the Santa Fe connection in Chicago, truly  trans-continental.
DLW/Wabash? Yup, it could have worked.

Your details on Erie's management make a great deal of sense. If anyone
wants to read about the "manipulation of the Erie", check out a book called "The
Scarlet Woman of Wall Street", written by John Steele Gordon. Copyright 1988,
published by Weidenfeld & Nicholson, New York, a division of Wheatland
Corporation, New York.

It's probably out of print by now. I happened to find a copy in a used
bookstore here in Manhattan a number of years ago. Truly a very good read that
offers in-depth insight as to what SGL posted. One could actually make a  great
movie from the characters who manipulated Erie stock at the time, to their
infidelities (corporate and personal), murder threats, escaping from Manhattan
to NJ under the cover of darkness, etc.

A really good chapter is "The Raid on the Albany & Susquehanna". If you  can
find it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Rick

In a message dated 2/19/2007 11:20:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
schuyler.larrabee_@_verizon.net writes:

In some  part, I write just to get the topic line spelled correctly . . .  8^)

Njricky2_@_aol.com wrote, though not necessarily in this  order:

> Erie had lousy management from Day 1. The "corporate ones"  who controlled
> Erie were into making money, not into running a  railroad. It's surprising
that
> Erie did as well as it did and  overall, it did very well. Erie turned out
> be  "a survivor".  Erie competed with PRR and NYC and did so  effectively.

That's  almost right.  I believe the management, while it had its problems,
was  actually about as
competent as any corporation was in those days.   There is a lot of the
outlines of corporate
structure in use today that was  invented by the ERIE.  I believe that what
was bad for the ERIE  from
the outset, or almost from the outset, was the financiers who  correctly
viewed this very large
corporation as something that could be  manipulated, and in the process of
those manipulations,
because it was so  large (for its day) the amount of money to be extracted
from it was  enormous.  The
actual management was manipulated just as much as the  more innocent of the
stockholders.  The end
result was that the  railroad was saddled with huge amounts of debt that had
been taken on,  while
ostensibly for "improvements" to the railroad, in fact for  improvements to
the financier's pockets.
Even bankruptcy didn't seem to  change that.  While some (all?) of those
previous debts might  have
been washed away, the railroad as it existed on the first day of  operation
under a new financial
regime was a battered,  in-need-of-improvement line, so they were always
starting out in the  hole.
Look what happened when the Van's took over and started spending  money.

> I often wonder whether or not the EL merger  was
> a good thing. I think that they had no choice in the end
>  because things in  the industry were happening quickly.

I think  there's some merit to that idea.  When merger became a concept that
could  be considered, the
first go-round included the D&H, along with the ERIE  and DL&W.  From what I
remember my dad and
granddad saying at the  time (I was ~10 years old), the D&H realized they
didn't want anything to  do
with these two sick puppies, since they were making money . .  .then.  IMHO,
what would have been
much better for the ERIE (sorry,  DL&W fans) would have been a ERIE/D&H
merger, especially if  they
could have brought the B&M into the mix, then or later.   DL&W would have
been better off (as we all
have discussed ad nauseam)  with NKP, or possibly with Wabash, via Niagara
Falls.  That would  have
taken some work to make a good connection, but if you look at this map  from
1953
http://home.comcast.net/~wabashrr/images/WabSysMap1949.jpg
(there  are probably better maps available on line) that could have been a
formidable  competitor for
the other main trunk lines.  It even gets past  Chicago!

> Erie on the other hand could have formed, without  a merger, an
affiliation
> with Santa Fe. They were both in the  position to do so. If that took
place,
> that would have given  both a trans-continental railroad without having to
> answer to  the ICC. Again, the Chicago interchange.

Think about that in  conjunction with the D&H idea above.

> Lackawanna on the  other hand, had for the most part, very good management
> but  again, it was a much smaller railroad and much easier to manage as
compared
> to Erie. Although it was smaller than Erie and others  in the Northeast,
it's
> feats are uncompared. DLW was the  shortest route between NYC (Hoboken) and

> Buffalo. They did it  well.

I think that, too, is an idea with merit.  I also think that  the DL&W
management was VERY hands-on
during it's glory years, while  the ERIE, before the Van's interventions, was
more of a series of
locally  managed divisions.  Having said that, though, I've read minutes of
the  Board and Executive
Committee meetings from about 1904-1914.  They met  weekly, for the most
part, and were deeply
involved with relatively minor  expenditures, what I recall as anything much
over $200.  Right.   Two
hundred dollars.  Even in 1910, that wasn't that much  money.

> The people who worked for both and then for the combined  railway, I think
> never became one.

And I think this is  in part due to the fact that they were formerly direct
competitors, as  opposed
to end-to-end complements.  If the DL&W had merged with  the WAB, I don't
think you would have seen
the same sort of issues  arising.  Or ERIE with D&H.

There are others on our list who  can refute this and I'd sure
> like to hear them tell us  otherwise.  Anyone out there who can tell us if
Erie and Lackawanna
> employees actually  put differences aside and worked for the  success of
Erie Lackawanna?

> That's a story that as far  as I know has yet to be  told.

Agreed.

SGL