Re: (erielack) Akron Questions

The tracks are gone from the JO Tower area, but the ROW is still very much intact.

  The EB main does/did sit higher than the WB main in this area. Neither track was lowered, so the clearances in my 1961 ETT apparently stayed that way until well after the mainline was downgraded.

  Here's a website with pics/info of JO. http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/csx4290/jotower.html The first pic shows the differences in elevation between tracks 1 and 2.

  Since that time, the Perkins St. and E. Market St. bridges were rebuilt, with higher clearances for the CSX main. The Park Street bridge hasn't been touched so it probably had enough clearance underneath it already.

  Conrail abandoned the former Erie line without permission from the county. IIRC The Summit County Port Authority purchased the line and forced Conrail to rebuild the line from a couple hundred feet east of this site east into Kent. It has layed dormant. Recently the Akron Barberton Cluster RR (which operates the Kent-Ravenna and Barberton-Rittman sections of the former Erie among other lines) used the line to back a passenger coach into Tallmadge for use by a restraunt. The line was overgrown with weeds and small trees, but the coach now sits in Tallmadge being prepped for it's next life.

  There's a bike/hike trail along the line from Tallmadge to just west of Kent, if anyone's into that sort of thing. There are several more on Erie lines east of there, but me and my sons haven't conquered them yet.

  Mike Spinelli

Paul Brezicki <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net> wrote:
  Mike,

I though the EL tracks were lifted by 1980?

always stay connected to friends.