Re: (erielack) Property and Structure Sales(2)

Joshua,
That's probably not totally uncommon having excess RR property (particularly
structures) that don't have as much appeal for resale as other properties
might.

We all know of the many stations that survive today that are not used for RR
purposes (Blairstown, NJ; Port Jervis,NY;  Susquehanna, Stroudsburg, PA,;
Kent, Barberton, Aurora, Marion, OH + others) but there were some that stood
around for many years unattended/unused (Delaware Water Gap is one that
comes to mind).  Jamestown, NY sat around unused for decades until just
recently - The Erie station in Akron sat around unused also 'till the early
'90's when it was demolished to make way for a new bank building.  Isn't
Elmira still standing, but basically unused also?

Some states taxed fixed structures moreso than others, which might be part
of the reason they didn't sit around waiting for a buyer - the RR probably
figured it was cheaper to demolish and eliminate an asset and a potential
liability off the tax roles rather than spend resources to market excess
structures/properties that might never sell ...

Rich Behrendt
ELHS #384