RE: (erielack) Olean, NY and WNYP

> Attached is an excerpt from the booklet "Genesee Valley Canal" by
> Mildred H. Anderson. I don't see any reference to Port Allegany but I'm
> positive this is how it got the nomenclature "port".
>
> Ronald R. Dukarm

An off-list post to me said that Port Allegheny was a "slackwater" port, mostly called that because
of the spring run being used to float logs downstream.  Also, according to this person, true of
Coudersport.

I make no claim of the veracity of these statements, just putting them out as an alternative.  OTOH,
the person who sent me that information is generally on the mark.

SGL