(erielack) Greenwood Lake Division

I was thinking about the Greenwood Lake Division this morning and thought that the final years of the tracks to the lake probably had the best grades since the track was relocated for the creation of the Wanaque Reservoir.  Too bad there wasn't a reason to continue train service.  Now there is:  NJT could have tapped commuters from the West Milford area but who knew that would happen 70 years ago.

Tracks did remain in place to the Ringwood Mines until sometime around the beginning of the 1960s.  I believe US Steel was keeping the mines just in case there was a need for iron ore.  They were reopened during World War II and they may have reopened during the Korean conflict -- not too sure about that.  Here's the question, and I'm not sure anyone has the answer:  How was the ore shipped out?  Were the tippical short ore jennies used or were conventional hoppers employed.  It must have been interesting to see a train like this running down the old manual block Greenwood Lake.  Probably an intersting drag up to Great Notch as well!

It would be interesting to find some pictures of this action.

Ed Montgomery