RE: (erielack) Greenwood Lake Division

> Tracks did remain in place to the Ringwood Mines until
> sometime around the beginning of the 1960s.  I believe US
> Steel was keeping the mines just in case there was a need for
> iron ore.  They were reopened during World War II and they
> may have reopened during the Korean conflict -- not too sure
> about that.  Here's the question, and I'm not sure anyone has
> the answer:  How was the ore shipped out?  Were the tippical
> short ore jennies used or were conventional hoppers employed.
>  It must have been interesting to see a train like this
> running down the old manual block Greenwood Lake.  Probably
> an intersting drag up to Great Notch as well!
>
> It would be interesting to find some pictures of this action.
>
> Ed Montgomery

I seem to remember photos showing standard hoppers loaded with the ore,
with one pile over each truck. The plant had a pair of off-center cab
switchers (they vaguely resembled the NH/BAR Ingersoll-Rand switchers on
a smaller scale), and at one of the ELHS Spring Meetings, Jim Kostibos
showed some shots he got of the last move on the upper Greenwood Lake -
it was a light move of the two switchers from the plant to
Wanaque-Midvale in 1957 - apparently, this is when the mine was
officially closed.