Re: (erielack) A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

In a message dated 2/4/2007 9:20:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu writes:
I was watching "Lackawanna Steam - Volume II" this afternoon and saw an
interesting thing that I never asked about.  There are a couple of shots at the
Elmira yard and also on the Dansville & Mount Morris where steam is being prepped
for service.  The engineer is running a long rod into the firebox from the
ashpan area.  What exactly is going on here?  It does not look like easy work
and it appears to be precise in nature.  I don't know that much about steam so
can you help me out?

The engineer or fireman is probably using a long rod type hoe or a piece of
or pipe with a hose connected to an air line to push or blow the ash in the ash
pan into the center of the pan where the dump door is located to dump the
ashes.
 When I was a member of a couple of the steam crews on the Reading T-1 back
in the 1970,s. We had 2 -3 inch water lines from the tender hooked into the ash
pan which we would use to flood the ash pan, there by putting out any still
burning pieces of coal in the ashes.
 We would then pull open the ash pan door on the bottom and create one giant
flood of ash and water all over the tracks.