(erielack) Sayre-Binghamton Connection

To answer Schuyler's question, yes, the LV was tight along the Erie (on the North side) through the narrows below the Devil's Elbow and until they split beyond Smithboro.

As I recall at both crossings, Erie and DL&W the LV Auburn branch was down, the Erie and DL&W mains up. LV took the "water level" route following the Susquehanna into Sayre on the North side of the river and entering the LV Sayre complex on the East side of the shops and parallel to the road East of the yard. The track is well portrayed in the series of maps Schuyler posted. Remnants of the row are easily followed today in most places. Of course the row below the elbow is only accesible on foot.

Old NY Rt 17 left the water level and went up over the Elbow which had its share of spectacular auto wrecks. The view from up there is quite spectacular. Regretably the "Elbow", a somewhat notorious road house at the summit, was closed and in disrepair the last time I was up there but its parking lot should still offer the view.

The LV and the Erie were/are easy to pace West out of Owego on old 17 (Erie) and a local road (LV). Both lines came together East of the Elbow and mostly stayed that way on the Western side until the LV went South at Ellis Town.

Rusty Recordon