Re: (erielack) freight on the cutoff-later years

listers,

  I beg to differ with you.  It ran under the name of a Port Morris Turn.  I know because I was working as the M&E dispatcher when it ran.

  Rich P
KSmollin_@_aol.com wrote:

The Port Morris Turn may have occasionally operated under the EL, but not
under that name. The Turn was created in 1978 (April or May?) when Conrail
revised the freight schedules on the Lackawanna. The last pair of trains on the
Cutoff (CS9 and SC8) were abolished with freight forwarded between Port Morris
and Scranton "as required". Since there was still a tremendous volume of
online freight from Port Morris east, Conrail instituted the Port Morris Turn. I
believe the Turn ran 6 days a week and it lasted up to November 1981. At that
time, it was abolished as part of the overall plan to close Croxton. It was
at that time that the Washington Secondary was upgraded and freight was brought
into Port Morris and Dover via Allentown.

Regarding the Cutoff, freight service became more and more sporadic
throughout 1978 until Conrail officially embargoed the line in January 1979. After
that, the only trains to run the Cutoff were the Amtrak Inspection Train (for
proposed Scranton service) that ran in November 1979 and the scrap train in
1984/1985.

The last "hurrah" for the Cutoff came in August 1978 when a derailment on the
Delaware Division (Narrowsburg?) forced Conrail to detour everything via the
Cutoff. At the time, the Delaware was still busy (the Ford Plant in Mahwah
was still operating) and saw 8 to 10 trains a day.

Keith, you might want to pass this along...

[...]

If memory serves me correctly, there was a reason for an occasional Port Morris Turn in late 75 and early 76. For whatever reason some of the Dairy Pak (Southern Plug door box cars) and some Wyondotte cars for Washington were diverted from the NW-Hagerstown-WM-RDG-Allentown PBurg routing. The cars were showing up in Croxton off the PC. They were getting the long haul instead of the EL routing. Those cars and no doubt some cars that would make demmurage via Allentown were on the Port Morris Turn.

Remember, it was getting close to Conrail and 4-1-76. Apparently anything went as far as PC was concerned.

Rich P

- ---------------------------------
Attached Message
If memory serves me correctly, there was a reason for an occasional Port
Morris Turn in late 75 and early 76. For whatever reason some of the Dairy Pak
(Southern Plug door box cars) and some Wyondotte cars for Washington were
diverted from the NW-Hagerstown-WM-RDG-Allentown PBurg routing. The cars were
showing up in Croxton off the PC. They were getting the long haul instead of
the EL routing. Those cars and no doubt some cars that would make demmurage
via Allentown were on the Port Morris Turn.

Remember, it was getting close to Conrail and 4-1-76. Apparently anything went
as far as PC was concerned.

Rich P

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates
starting at 1¢/min.