RE: (erielack) What was the Shopper's Special...?

Was this train related to the Lackawanna's daily except Sunday train 26
(Merchant's Express?) that ran from Scranton to Hoboken in the early morning
arriving at 9:30 or so?

There was a return (The Scrantonian, train 11) that departed Hoboken about
2:30 PM.

I had the impression, perhaps mistaken, that those were popular trains for
day-trippers to New York. I don't know when they were discontinued.

Did the EL Shopper Special evolve from these earlier DL&W trains?

Michael Mang

> What was the Erie-Lackawanna "Shopper's Special" that ran
> from Scranton east
> in early December 1967?
>
> Thanks,
> Norm

This was a train that left early in the morning with Scrantonites heading to
New York City for the purpose of holiday shopping. The return special left
around 5 PM or so , giving the riders the day to spend in the city at all
the stores. I believe it ran on a Saturday?