RE: (erielack) What was the Shopper's Special...?

It was a shoppers train plain and simple.  It wasn't designed to be anything else.

Michael Mang <mnmang_@_mn.rr.com> wrote:  Was this train related to the Lackawanna's daily except Sunday train 26
(Merchant's Express?) that ran from Scranton to Hoboken in the early morning
arriving at 9:30 or so?

There was a return (The Scrantonian, train 11) that departed Hoboken about
2:30 PM.

I had the impression, perhaps mistaken, that those were popular trains for
day-trippers to New York. I don't know when they were discontinued.

Did the EL Shopper Special evolve from these earlier DL&W trains?

Michael Mang

> What was the Erie-Lackawanna "Shopper's Special" that ran
> from Scranton east
> in early December 1967?
>
> Thanks,
> Norm

This was a train that left early in the morning with Scrantonites heading to
New York City for the purpose of holiday shopping. The return special left
around 5 PM or so , giving the riders the day to spend in the city at all
the stores. I believe it ran on a Saturday?

- - Paul

Do you Yahoo!?