(erielack) Milk

This is the only situation I've heard of where a TOFC was loaded through the side door when on the flat. That makes it even more fascinating. That puts the trailer floor about 82" above ground level. The plant must have built a special ramp. Of course handling TOFC like a boxcar in this manner negates the economics of TOFC. I believe Flexivans in mail service were handled like this in some cases: the flat was spotted at the station and the container unloaded and loaded through the side door, but at least the container floor was at a reasonable height of 48" or so.

Paul B

A dairy in Homer , NY continued to use rail even after the EL merger and the demise of psss. trains on the Syracuse Br.  It was a piggyback operation with the trailers being loaded through side doors while on the flat car.  They were handed by the local out of Binghamton to Homer.  It made it a point to get back to Binghamton to make #22 out of Bing.  The emties were handled on #7 and then the local back to Homer.  This went of for several years.  I worked as a brakeman on the Syracuse Br. the summer of '62 and had the honor of setting off this empty flat with two trailers at Homer on several ocasions.

Bill McDonald