RE: (erielack) yellow stripe/DF, was EL 2007 calendar - descripti on and review

> Does "DF" specifically refer to load-restraint devices
> including bulkheads, cushion-couplers, underframe cushioning
> device or any of the above? SP's freight equipment spec
> sheets listed several car types equipped with "Hydra-Cushion"
> cushion underframe devices including flats, mech reefers and
> several types of boxcars. These used a long-travel hydraulic
> cushioning device. Most or all autoparts boxcars of 50' 60'
> or 86' length have cushion couplers and/or underframes, as
> far as I can tell. Evidently these were necessary in addition
> to load restraints.

I thought the "DF" stood for "Damage Free (TM)" load dividers by a specific manufacturer. There were other brands that you can see on other railroads' cars (I've seen "DF2" and "LD" (load divider) - I believe "DF" refers specifically to the movable bulkheads within boxcars, not related to other innovations such as cushioned uderframes.

The bulkheads would keep cargo from shifting, but wouldn't absorb the G-force effects of a slam-bang coupling, hence the cushioned underframes. I wonder if once these underframes were in use, the job of a DF loader became moot? You never see "DF" cars anymore, do ya?

BTW, speaking of the yellow-stripe SP car, I remembered reading something about this in the SP Color Guide to Frt. and Psgr. Equipment, Vol. 2 - I'll check this out at home tonight. I seem to remember something about lumber loading service, but I'll verify.