Re: (erielack) Mystery Photo Location

Another thought - the West Pittston Delaware Ave station sat at a low spot
(probably due to a mine cave-in) while the little Susquehanna Ave station
was at a higher elevation. There's a dip in the land between Susquehanna
Ave. and Exeter Ave. The railroad resolved this problem by merely raising
the tracks on a fill. If you drive up Maple street & look at the track, you
can see how much higher the track is than the road..especially in the
center. This would point to a mine cave-in. The same holds true for  the
area around the old station site & the swimming pool/little league field
which are in a kind of bowl. I'm pretty sure about this area too, since the
station was considerably lower than the tracks (about 2 feet or so). In
fact, the windowsills of the agents office & the waiting room were level
with the tracks whereas the floor of the station was level with the street.
This would seem to show that the station & surrounding area sunk some time
after the station was built and the railroad raised the tracks in order to
avoid a rollercoaster effect with heavy trains. There was no need to raise
the station, though........I now remember that the trackside door from the
passenger waiting room had several steps to bring you up to track level.
Regards,
Walt Smith