From: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org [mailto:erielack-owner@lists.elhts.org]
On Behalf Of Pat_McKnight_@_nps.gov
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:15 AM
To: Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com
Cc: Richard Pennisi; EL List
Subject: Re: (erielack) Spanish Influenza and the DL&W--long post

Chuck,

I am sure it had some impact.  The only personnel file I have that
documents the worker died of the "Spanish Influenza" was for a minor.  He
had to get a permission slip to work signed by his parents.  Most of the
minors I have in the personnel files are for call boys and messengers, he
was employed as a Towerman at West Henryville.  He was hired at age 18 in
July of 1918, and was reported dead in October of that same year.  I doubt
the DL&W would have hired someone that young for that position had the
labor pool been more competetive.

On the topic of World War I, I think we have a folder responding to Railway
Age Magazine about the impact of WWI on the railroad, done around 1919,
apparently sent to all the railroads.  Let me know if you are interested in
this questionaire and DL&W response.

Patrick McKnight
Historian/Archivist
Steamtown NHS
570-340-5193

We need history, not to tell us what happened or to explain the past, but
to make the past alive so that it can explain us and make a future
possible.-Alan Bloom

                      Charles_Walsh_@_ber

                      lex.com                  To:       Richard Pennisi
<eldispatcher72_@_yahoo.com>
                                               cc:       EL List
<erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>, erielack-owner@lists.elhts.org,
                      02/22/2006 11:20          Pat_McKnight_@_nps.gov

                      AM EST                   Subject:  Re: (erielack)
Spanish Influenza and the DL&W--long post

Yes, very interesting.  I'm wondering to what degree, if any, the railroad
manpower shortage was exacerbated by World War I, since the flu pandemic of
1917-18 hit at the same time.

Chuck

                      Richard Pennisi

                      <eldispatcher72_@_yah

                      oo.com>             To:     Pat_McKnight_@_nps.gov

                      Sent by:                    EL List
<erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
                      erielack-owner_@_list cc:

                      s.elhts.org         Subject:

                                                  Re: (erielack) Spanish
Influenza and the DL&W--long post

                      02/22/2006 11:03 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Richard Pennisi

        Pat,

  Thank you for this interesting file to read.  It certainly makes me happy
to  live in the times that we do.

  Rich Pennisi

End of EL List Daily V3 #1936