(erielack) Phoebe fore-runner???

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-02-23-06

Phoebe.jpg (image/jpeg, 840x1050 891036 bytes, BF: 0.99 ppb)

While we're discussing Ms Snow, here are two postcards from my collection.

The first obviously shows Phoebe on the observation platform of the
Lackawanna Limited, though she is not named.  It was addressed to Medina,
NY, but not mailed, unfortunately.  Note the US flags pointing forward on
both sides of the roof!

The second appears to show the other end of the train during the same
posed set-up.  It was mailed from Buffalo to Rochester on September 23,
1906.  They caught the semaphore signal too, but the engine's safety valve
is releasing excess steam.

Both cards are from the same publisher, Rochester News Company.

The singer Phoebe Snow took her stage surname from the Erie-Lackawanna
billboard boxcars of the early post-merger era; her real name is Phoebe
Ann Laub.

http://www.phoebesnow.com/index2.html

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7