RE: (erielack) CNJ\EL pool trains, New connection?

Listers,

The "C" I beleive is for clearance.  It you look at the placement of the sign it is as viewed from the engineer's side of an approaching train on the new connection.  The photo even shows the train in relation to the sign and the clearance to the main track without fouling the main track.
Some railroads paint a joint for this purpose, some put up signs.  As long as the train stops before passing that point it will not foul whatever track was intended.

The train on track 2 is governed by a dwarf signal to stop the train from fouling the switch, therefore the C is for trains on the new connection

Rich

"Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:
To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-10-28-05

3647_meeting_ES-99-Train_CS-9_-_Lake_Jct_NJ_-_3-12-74_-_John_Durant.jpg (image/jpeg, 640x480 56485 bytes, BF: 5.44 ppb)

> Here's my question. Between the EB EL track and the new
> connection ramp
> there is a white sign with a "C" cut out of it. In the pic, the "C" is
> backwards so, The only way to see this sign properly is if a
> WB EL train is
> running on the EB track (the sign would be on the left hand
> side) Or a train
> coming up the new ramp (in this case the sign is on the
> right) What does
> this sign mean? Was it for trains on the EL main or the new
> connection?
>
> If you do a Yahoo image search for EL3647, You can get a
> thumbnail of the
> pic I'm talking about. I can not find a full size image
> online any more.

Attached is the picture in question, I'd like to hear the answer to this myself. Anyone got a rulebook they can look in?

- - Paul