RE: RE: (erielack) Seatrain (was: NY-98 spotting feature)

Randy Brown wrote:

> In 1957, Seatrain went between New York to Savannah (1/week),
> New Orleans (1/week; maybe same ship)  and Texas City
> (2/week).  They didn't have many ships -- and they were
> "ships" , not "boats".

I believe Seatrain had 5 ships - all named "Seatrain..." and the name of the endpoints of their routes ("New Jersey," "Texas," "Savannah," et al.)

I forgot - I did put up two pictures of Seatrain's ships, sitting in Weehawken (right near the Erie piers), shortly before being scrapped. These two shots are by Rich Taylor:

http://hbs.railfan.net/sea1.jpg
http://hbs.railfan.net/sea2.jpg

You can see the Lincoln Tunnel "helix" in the background. On the one broadside shot, you can see the "gap" in the ship's side just to the right of the "SEATRAIN LINES" lettering; this is where the boxcars would be lowered into the ship's hold. The boxcars actually sat on a small piece of panel track as they were lowered in, and then pushed off onto one of the levels/tracks within the ship's hold.

A fascinating operation, but efficient it was not.