RE: (erielack) The end is near for the ex EL/NJDOT Comet I's

From the new Railpace Newsmagazine:

"As the [NJ Transit] multi-level fleet enters revenue service, plans are to reassign modern Comet IV and V equipment to replace many 33-year-old Comet I-series cars, the oldest in the fleet. Currently, Comet I cars are used on the Raritan Valley, Main, Bergen County and Pascack Valley lines."

The new bi-level cars are supposed to start arriving next spring (2006), and are targeted for revenue service for the end of 2006. So it sounds like you have a little less than a year to catch these before they're gone.

Many have already been resold at auction to other operators (Morristown & Erie got at least 10 from what I've heard), so they're not completely going away.

	- Paul

P.S. Also in the new Railpace is a photo of the first revenue run of new PL42AC 4020... trailing a string of Comet I's! The newest with the oldest...