Re: (erielack) P&D History

Geography aside, what also may have limited the P&D's western progress,
especially after there was DL&W involvement, is the fact that the end of
line at Gladstone was just a little more than five miles from the terminus
of the Chester Branch.  Connecting the two, if feasible, would have created
an interesting "circle route", although I doubt it would have saved most of
the Chester Branch from eventual abandonment.  The one advantage would be
to draw in commuters from farther west than Gladstone, but the terrain did
not favor such an extension which would have necessitated a crossing of the
Rockaway Valley RR about a mile or so west of Gladstone.  Interesting stuff
for speculation, however.

                      donald kern
                      <doubletrack_@_comcas
                      t.net>              To:     Paul Brezicki <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net>
                      erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
                      s.elhts.org                 Re: (erielack) P&D History

                      10/23/2005 12:53 PM
                      Please respond to
                      donald kern

the P&D  didnt reach Gladstone till the 1890s  before then terminated at
Bernardsville  was already a Morris and Essex property by then anyway
I belive the carter to build it was Originally Asa Packer's doing