(erielack) P&D History

Thanks, Gary, if it's not too much trouble. It should corroborate the
intriguing Asa Packer connection mentioned by Donald. I'm thinking the P&D
would have been chartered around 1868-71 when LV lost it's eastern
connections at P'burg, the M&E by lease to DL&W, and CNJ by it's lease of LV
archrival Lehigh & Susquehanna. The P&D may have been planned as the new
outlet for NY-bound anthracite traffic, but instead it chose a more
southerly route, initially to Perth Amboy. Evidently the CNJ was a very
strategic line before all this, serving as eastern connection for L&S, LV,
DL&W (via Warren RR) and RDG's East Penn.

Paul B

Taber covers this pretty well.  Do you want me to dig it out and summarize
what's there, or do you have those books?

Briefly, the P&D was to link the Passaic RIVER (not the town of Passaic)
with the Delaware River and continue to the coal fields in Pennsylvania.
There never was a railroad on the PA side where the P&D was to go,
though...

They also envisioned building east from Summit to the New York waterfront
and some work was done; supposedly grading east of Summit is still visible
but I've never been able to identify it.

the P&D  didnt reach Gladstone till the 1890s  before then terminated at
Bernardsville  was already a Morris and Essex property by then anyway
I belive the carter to build it was Originally Asa Packer's doing

End of EL List Daily V3 #1813