RE: (erielack) NJ Locals

Paul Brezicki asked:

> In the decade leading up to Conrail,
> there was obviously a pattern of combining locals as traffic
> declined. For example, at some point the Greenwood L and
> Silver L Hauls were combined

Yes, this apparently occurred when traffc on the Orange Branch, in
particular, dropped off tremendously, and one crew could do the work of what
was left of both jobs. I think this might have been around 1974 or so.

> I forgot to ask about the former DL&W main
> between Boonton and Mtn View; was this handled by the Boonton
> Drills or Totowa Rstbt, or no local traffic here?

As I understand it, the Boonton Drill did the work between Boonton and the
east end of the Lincoln Park passing siding (there was a customer there).
Towards the end, there were very few - Thermal Fused Quartz in Montville,
ITT (I think?) at the west side of Lincoln Park, and a plastic manufacturing
firm at the east end of Lincoln Park. The customers in Mt. View (now on the
NY&GL side) were served by the GL Haul.

	- Paul

- --
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.