Fw: (erielack) NJ Locals

Thanks, Bill and Len. Interesting account of the cat-and-mouse stuff on the P&D. The crews definitely had the home turf advantage. In the decade leading up to Conrail, there was obviously a pattern of combining locals as traffic declined. For example, at some point the Greenwood L and Silver L Hauls were combined, and I gather also the "Bloomer" and the P&D Drill. I forgot to ask about the former DL&W main between Boonton and Mtn View; was this handled by the Boonton Drills or Totowa Rstbt, or no local traffic here?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: ShepRail_@_aol.com
To: doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: (erielack) NJ Locals

Arranged freight service to local customers in former DL&W territory varied depending upon the
period of time that is considered. The assignments listed below I recall operated in the 60's after Harrison Yard was closed.

The "Pusher" was a yard job that operated on 1st and 2nd tricks covering the territory listed below:

                              Harrison - Kingsland Cutoff*
                              Morristown Line - West End to Orange*
                              Montclair Branch - Roseville Avenue to Ampere

The "Bloomer" was a local freight that covered the territory listed below:

                              Montclair Branch - Ampere to Montclair
                              Morristown Line - Orange to Summit

The "P&D" was a local freight that covered the Gladstone Branch, including the Rahway Valley
                              interchange at Summit.

     *Note: Some consignees at Kingsland were served by other yard and local freight assignments.
                Additional service to Orange Street Yard provided by yard crews from Hoboken (18F).
              LCL service to/from Montclair Freight House provided by MU trains.

                                                                                               Bill Sheppard