RE: (erielack) Wreck of the milk train (2)

Lynne commented:

>...but I wasn't sure whether the shorthand
>Lackawanna was really for the DL&W or the Erie Lackawanna, as I don't
>have the dates for each company with me here at home. Thank you for
>confirming that it was a DL&W train that was involved.

The EL came about in October, 1960 as a result of the merger between the DL&W and Erie. Afterwards, the EL was always referred to as the EL, but often time railfans would refer to the "Erie side" or "Lackawanna side" to distinguish where trains ran. There were two main routes between Croxton/Jersey City on the east end and Binghamton on the west end. The "Lackawanna side" went via Scranton, and the "Erie side" took a more northerly route via Port Jervis.