RE: (erielack) FW: [Susquehanna] Southern Tier signals?

Rich Pennisi wrote:

>Another alternative, and this could be the one NYS&W has chosen, is a
>signal product called Electracode.  This system uses codes and voltages
>thru the rail rather than transmission line (pole line).

I'd be inclined to agree with Rich here. Most transmissions now pass through the rails (take a look at most lineside signals and you'll see connections to the rails nowadays).  Why bother putting down more cables when you have two great conductors of electricity right there?

Also, I don't think the railroads use fiber optics. That's way overkill for their needs (kinda like using a Rolls Royce to go to the supermarket). Most of the fiber optic cable laid along railroad tracks are for communications providers (think Sprint, MCI, etc.), from which railroads receive a nice source of rental revenue from.  (Factoid of the day: The "SP" in "Sprint" stands for "Southern Pacific" - the telecom company was an offshoot of SP's.)