RE: (erielack) Athearn EL SD45-2

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Paul R. Tupaczewski wrote:

> I don't think we ever got (or for that matter, ever will) an "official"
> reason for this. We've heard as reasons:
>
> * Maybrook runthroughs
> * Cleveland "tunnels" (those big low bridges)
>
> All seem logical enough, but it doesn't explain why run-through power with
> "standard" rooftop appliances also ran on trains in these circumstances. I
> personally would love to see the clearance profile that justified the
> low-profile appliances.  Was it just pure paranoia on someone's part?

Have a look at http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/bldg/clear-0-50.gif

I have always thought the relocated horns were for the Cleveland tunnels, but
why not put them dead center on top of the cabs, the tunnels are 17'6" above
the rail in the center? What about the DL&W catenary? Could the catenary also
be the reason for the low profile horns, fans and inertial filter hatch? I
think having a wiggle room would be the reason more than just paranoia. There
must be some guidelines for a safety factor involved.

Henry