Re: (erielack) Athearn EL SD45-2

With the limited freight traffic on these lines, I wonder if it may have been more cost effective to order stock SD's and U-boats, and simply restrict them from these routes. Maybe they worried that a dispatching error was inevitable (it happened on other roads).
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Pennisi
  To: Paul Brezicki
  Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2005 10:47 AM
  Subject: Re: (erielack) Athearn EL SD45-2

  Paul,

  The low fans etc on EL were not for Maybrook clearnaces but rather two locations on EL.  One location being on the Cleveland line there were some close clearances on some overhead bridges etc and the other was tracks 2 & 4 in the Bergen Tunnel.

  Rich

  Paul Brezicki <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net> wrote:
    Nice loco, can't wait fro mine to arrive. It reminds me of the irony of EL,
    the quintessential H&W route thanks to Erie clearances, ordering locomotives
    with trimmed-down fans and low-mounted horns. LDY said it was for tight NE
    clearances on Maybrook runthroughs, but PC didn't take this precaution and
    wasn't breaking off horns. Another irony: apparently some tracks in Cx yard
    were so close they wouldn't clear a man between. This is because the yard
    was built after conversion to SG.

    Paul B