Re: (erielack) Athearn EL SD45-2

Good question, Donald. However once Roseville tunnel was single-tracked, the Lackawanna side cleared high trailers and loaded trilevels (height 17' and 18' respectively), vs 15' 5" for a stock SD45 (horn and fans).
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: donald kern
  To: Paul R. Tupaczewski
  Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 12:51 AM
  Subject: Re: (erielack) Athearn EL SD45-2

  How about running the Lackawanna side?

  Paul R. Tupaczewski wrote:

Nice loco, can't wait fro mine to arrive. It reminds me of
the irony of EL, the quintessential H&W route thanks to Erie
clearances, ordering locomotives with trimmed-down fans and
low-mounted horns. LDY said it was for  tight NE clearances
on Maybrook runthroughs, but PC didn't take this precaution
and wasn't breaking off horns.

I don't think we ever got (or for that matter, ever will) an "official"
reason for this. We've heard as reasons:

* Maybrook runthroughs
* Cleveland "tunnels" (those big low bridges)

All seem logical enough, but it doesn't explain why run-through power with
"standard" rooftop appliances also ran on trains in these circumstances. I
personally would love to see the clearance profile that justified the
low-profile appliances.  Was it just pure paranoia on someone's part?