Re: (erielack) From our glass plate negative collection

Lynne,

Interesting image! You can be reasonably sure it is indeed a picture off
the DL&W. The coach is a dead give away. One of the short 60' or so
wooden commuter coaches the DL&W used at the end of the 19th century and
beginning of the 20th. Most likely the coach is one of the 1000 series
coaches used in suburban commuter service. As an interesting aside, the
tank located in the middle of the coach after the queen post and behind
the truss rod at the bottom of the car body, was a storage tank for the
Pintsch gas lights used in these cars.

Now for the engine, it was indeed an engine built for the Morris & Essex
division. Built by Danforth, Cooke & Company in 1875. She had 17 x 24
inch cylinders and 64 1/2 inch drivers. The picture likely dates from
1899-1902 or 1903. This engine was renumbered during the start of the
Truesdale presidency in a system wide renumbering and reclassification
program begun almost immediately after President Truesdale appointed
J.W. Fitzgibbon Superintendent of Motive Power in 1899. The engine was
renumbered to 133 at that time. In 1909 she was scrapped.

Primary sources of information for deciphering the photo include Tabor's
DL&W Railroad in the 20th Century Volume 2 and R&LHS Bulletin number 72
- - The Locomotives of the DL&W by F. Stewart Graham along with a
locomotive renumbering research database a friend of mine compiled.

Regards,

Will Shultz