Re: (erielack) Caption?

- --- Njricky2_@_aol.com wrote:
> A friend of mine from Far Hills, NJ, rode the MUs into Manhattan

Well, to Hoboken anyway.  These cars were replaced more than 10 years
before trains from the Morristown line and its branches went to Penn
Station...

> and said that she always carried an extra pair of stockings inher bag
> because she knew she'd be a daily victim of "Rattan Rippings".

I've heard that also; the problem increased as the cars aged and the seats
weren't maintained as well - especially in the early 1980's when their
days were numbered.  Even the use of plastic instead of real rattan didn't
help.

> We talked about that the other day and she verified her recollections.
> She and her family still have their home in Far Hills and she, aside
> from the wicker seats, has good memories of Erie Lackawanna. These days,
> riding NJT, things are better but she misses the feeling of "the
> railroad".

Most of the changes of the new equipment versus the old are negative.  The
seats are closer together and narrower and the aisles are narrower as
well.  There was enough space to read a NY Times or Wall Street Journal
without accidentally touching the person next to or ahead of you.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey