RE: (erielack) EL East End Operations

Paul B: commented:

> The other article is by former EL yardmaster Bob Malinoski,
> who chronicled
> all arrivals/departures from Croxton Yd during a 5 day period
> in 12-75.
> Since this data was recorded as it happened (as opposed to
> recollected 30
> years hence), I consider it a definitive source. Paul T,
> since it appears
> you're modelling the Boonton Line in the 70's, you'll wan't
> to get your
> hands on this one.

Already got it :)  - in fact, Bob Malinoski was kind enough to send me some train consist sheets (albeit from the late 1960s)

> The pigs: 100 and 2/100 consistently late; 100 arriving mid-morning vs
> scheduled 0600, 2/100 noon or early afternoon vs 1100.

I think we went over this before, but the "schedule" was more of a weak "rule of thumb" than a "letter of the law" type of thing. Passenger trains followed a strict schedule/timetable, whereas the freights did not.

I do find it funny that the hotshots were late!

> Weekend editions
> often ran later due to combining with other trains and less
> critical arrival
> times. (From previous article, 2/100 was once combined with
> SF-100 at Port,
> and incurred a 3 hour delay doing so.)
> Westbound: NY-99 at 2300, ACX-99 at 0300, CX-99 at 0530,
> usually departing
> aos.
> 2/100 and CX-99 via HX, the others via DB.

Looking at photos, it appears that freight trains were sometimes swapped between their respective "sides" (Erie vs DL&W), I assume for reasons of expediency due to congestion or other track issues?

> TC-1 was mostly Mahwah traffic and usually originated there
> but ran via
> Scranton. One morning the DW (Middletown) Turn arrived via HX
> with 44 empty
> hy-cubes and was sent out intact via DB as TC-1.

This always puzzled me - why did TC-1 seem to make a big circuitous route? Mahwah->CX->Scranton->Binghamton? Was this just so it could make setouts/pickups at Croxton? If that's the case, why not originate at Croxton, and just have the local that services Suffern bring the auto traffic down to CX to attach to the TC-1?

> Paul, can you be talked into
> posting again that
> consist sheet for SF-100? Thanks.

I will do so tonight when I get home.