Re: Re:RE: (erielack) Edgewater

> The map in Bill Sheppard's book shows the "NYS&W Northern Extension"
> reaching from Edgewater toward Fort Lee, but not getting there.  It shows
> the "NYS&W Southern Extension" going from Edgewater to the tunnel mouth in
> Weehawken.  This map is from the 1921 PA report retraced to show
> conditions in 1942.

That's incorrect. The NYS&W ended somewhat north of Weehawken. I guess I'm
going to have to go to the files on this, but I believe it was at the
Hudson/Bergen County line. Earlier, the NYS&W predecessor New Jersey Midland
owned land at the Weehawken Ferry (not to mention the ferry itself) but I
suspect that's earlier than we're talking about <g>.

> None of the contemporary, pertinent, governing tariffs show Erie as
> serving Edgewater.

The Erie did not "serve" Edgewater customers -- the NYS&W did. But it had
operating rights to get there via the NYCentral from Weehawken.

Keep in mind, the Northern and Southern Extensions were part of the Erie
Terminals Company, jointly owned by the NYS&W and Erie c1907-1940 -- not
strictly NYS&W, so we may be splitting a few hairs here, depending on the
year you're looking at. But the Erie advertised Egewater as its own on
various occasions, too.

There were a variety of interesting trackage rights and operating rights
arrangements at different times -- the Erie from Passaic Jct to Croxton; the
Erie from Passaic Jct. to Little Ferry (Even the L&NE got into Little Ferry,
for that matter).  There were also the Waldwick-Jersey City commuter trains
via the NYS&W, but I digress . . .

Cheers,
Jim