RE: (erielack) Boonton Line freight trains-analysis

Paul,

Any idea how long CS-9 and IHB-7 continued to operate after April Fools Day
1976?

Chuck

                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"
                      <paultup_@_lucent.com To:     EL Mailing List <erielack@lists.railfan.net>
                      >                   cc:
                      Sent by:            Subject:
                      erielack-owner_@_list         RE: (erielack) Boonton Line freight trains-analysis
                      s.elhts.org

                      10/03/2005 10:10 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"

Addressing a couple of points from Chuck Walsh and Paul Brezicki:

> So what remained on the Scranton side once the shift to the
> Erie side was
> completed?  There were definitely CR freights that operated over the
> Cut-Off, at least during 1976.  Whether this continued in
> 1977, I don't
> know.  By 1978, Port Morris to Slateford Jct. had been placed out of
> service.

The only ones I know of specifically were the oft-photographed
long-distance local CS-9 and a westbound manifest, "IHB-7" - don't know of
anything else.

> I don't think CX-99 ever operated via Scranton. Don't forget
> it was really
> 2
> trains: originally a hot boxcar/lcl/TOFC overflow from NY-99 schedule
> operated via Port; in early '71 the symbol was assigned to the new UPS
> train
> with a 4am cutoff at Croxton. It also operated via Port where
> it picked up
> the Stratford CT trailers. (The original CX-99's traffic went
> to NY-97.)

According to Jim Gerofsky's website, here's what he says about NY-99:

"New York to Chicago via PO, 1964 thru 1972; New York to Chicago via SC,
1973 to 1976."

Now, don't forget, this train ran smack in the middle of the night, so
photos on the east end during its tenure on the Boonton Line are EXTREMELY
rare.  My 2-24-74 ETT shows NY-99 leaving Croxton at 2300, arriving at
Scranton at 0345, and Binghamton at 0545.

> Starting in '72 you also had the Cannonballs (at least some
> of the time),

The NYCB and SLCB (New York and St. Louis Cannonballs) only ran on the DL&W
side for a brief period of about 9 months in 1973, before its
discontinuance. Prior to that, it ran from 1970 until early 1973 on the
Erie side.

> and the CNJ runthru pair (SE-98/ES-99) that began running via
> Lake Jct when
> it bailed out of PA.

Don't forget the ill-fated NE-99/NE-100, the joint piggyback trains with
the CNJ that lasted barely half-a-year in 1973.