RE: Re: (erielack) Blairstown

The big issue with the Boonton Line had to do with the continuation of business as usual for the EL.  They were simply out of cash by 1963 and that sale of real estate did a lot to help them.  I'm sure the operating departments knew what the consequenses would be.  Also, former Erie management moved a lot of freight off the line to the Erie New York and Susquehanna Divisions mostly because a lot of freight connections were made at Maybrook in the early 60s.  To them it didn't make sense to run trains down the L&HR to make a w/bound connection with EL at Port Morris.  I don't think anyone could really predict the change in rail operations at that time.  In fact, EL was hoping, at one point to be part of a merger with PRR.  The PC merger was still up in the air back then.

Ed Montgomery

________________________________

From: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org on behalf of Janet & Randy Brown
Sent: Sat 8/27/2005 8:36 AM
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Subject: Re:Re: (erielack) Blairstown

Paul:

It's I-80.  I-280 is a different road, running between Parsippany and Newark, south of Paterson.

Randy Brown
I've always wondered (as have lots of others) why EL was so eager to cede the Boonton line row in Paterson for I-280 when they must have had some inkling of the potential problems with operating through freights on the NY&GL. I imagine the clearance-restricted Kingsland tunnel was a big factor. Do you know the actual vertical clearance?

Paul B