Re: (erielack) Blairstown

Ed,

My brother Bob worked at Blairstown for 3 weeks in either July or August 1963 if I remember correctly.  In addition to some tickets (and there were some regular commuters to NYC on No. 6 on a Monday -Friday basis) the agent also handled railway express.  That in itself kept you somewhat busy.  People came in and out all day long sending packages and picking up packages.  No. 41 dropped off U.S. Mail and express shipments and east bound the Pocono Express dropped off U.S. mail and express.

Every train that handled mail was met by a private contractor to the post office department.  While waiting for the trains to arrive they always particiapted in friendly conversations

During one of the weeks Bob was working there, I rode the cab of the Phoebe Snow when Andy Barbera was on the job.  I got off at Blairstown and stayed with my brother until the 4 or 430pm closing time.

We both loved baseball so I brought my glove and he brought his.  We were having a catch for some time with both baggage room doors and throwing through the building.  It's amazing how you can amuse yourself!

I really miss those days compared to railroading nowadays!

Rich Pennisi

"Montgomery, Edward T" <Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu> wrote:
I was thinking about the possible revival of the cut-off and what it
must have been like to be the agent/operator at Blairstown in the early
sixties before the agency was closed. It must have been similar, maybe
even less taxing, to being a lighthouse keeper. The agency was probably
responsible for the freight arriving at Blairstown and Greendell.
Probably Greendell had more deliveries because of a feed mill located
there. Outside of selling a few passenger tickets, what else was there
to do all day? Since most of the freight was diverted over to the
Susquehanna division, there were probably few, if any train orders, to
write with CTC controlling the train movement.

Any thoughts on that?

Ed Montgomery