RE: (erielack) Caldwell Branch Operations

This is an interesting thought.  I watched a lot of this action for the
three years that Midvale service continued after the Greenwood Lake -
Boonton Line connection was made.  Usually the evening connection to
Midvale was from a train that dropped off its last passengers at Great
Notch or Upper Montclair.  I don't have one of the original tts in front
of me but if there was reason to hold a train at Mountain View, it would
be held.  There was nothing else going on the GL between there and
Midvale at that time of the day.

I do remember one occasion probably in 1965 when the first train in the
evening ran terminating at Midvale.  After that there was a freight
derailment along the Great Notch grade stopping all train movement
throughout the rest of the evening.  The Midvale train turned and
usually ran back as an extra to make another w/bound run later in the
evening.  Well the train got to Mountain View and never got a green
signal.  It was powered by an E8.  After quite some time, it backed up
to the Midvale yard and waited there.

After the connecting service was put in place, the patronage on the
Midvale trains seemed to radically drop off.

Ed Montgomery