(erielack) Re: The Diamond/West End questions

51st St was the main carload facility as well as intermodal. However less
and less carload was handled there as the runthroughs became more important.
So by 1976 the wb carload trains for the most part went to connections.
Consider the mid-70's wb Chicago lineup out of Marion:

CNW-97: Proviso
M-97 (Milwaukee Rd): Bensenville
IC-97: Markham
BN-99: Cicero
SFE-97: Corwith (usually combined with BN-99 to Huntington IN)
BRC-99: Clearing

Trains to 51st St were limited to CO-97 (Chicago-97), and the intermodals
NY-99, ACX-99, PB-99 and CX-99. Most interchanged TOFC was grounded at 51st
St and "rubbered" to connecting line ramp, as in most cases this was faster
and more reliable than steel-wheel interchange; the latter was done with
ATSF, BN and C&EI.

It was the same stuation with eastbounds. By the 70's RI-100 was usually
combined with Milw-100 as the CRIP deteriorated and lost traffic. I think
the BN train carried the NE-74 symbol. SF-100 was basically NY-74; I suspect
the name was changed when ATSF was considering acquiring the bankrupt EL. EL
had budgeted for a major rebuilding of the Marion hump yard in1972, which
would have implemented the runthrough approach more completely and closed
Huntington. Of course, this money went to Agnes repair instead.

Until it was closed in1969, Hammond originated and terminated transfer runs
to nearby connections such as IC and CRI&P. These cars were preblocked at
Marion and setoff at Hammond by trains that terminated at 51st St.

Paul B