(erielack) RE: The Diamond/West End questions

Paul B.,

	Thanks! This is good info! I'm looking for clarification on a few items (see below):

> 51st St yard (which by C-day was mostly an intermodal
> facility), a smaller
> yard at 23rd St and the 14th St Freight House (55th St was a
> Pennsy and then
> PC yard)

So... if 51st St. was for intermodal, where did the westbound manifest freight end up? 23rd St? Hammond?

> Within the "Chicago Switching District", almost all RR's had
> trackage rights
> over each other. So outbound EL transfers would travel to other RR's
> facilities over various routes including BRC (which was also
> co-owned by
> EL), IHB etc.

Where did EL transfers begin? 51st? 23rd? Or Hammond? (I ask this because EL had several T-series transfer hacks lettered for HAMMOND, but none for CHICAGO)

> Beginning with CB&Q in 1967, an increasing volume of
> interchange moved in
> runthroughs such as Q-99 (later BN-99), and by 1976 most
> Chicago carload
> interchange was handled this way. These originated at
> Huntington and Marion
> and were not handled at 51st St, which freed up space there for needed
> intermodal capacity. Crews on trains destined for more
> distant yards may
> have changed at an intermediate location; eg: CNW-97 for
> Proviso may have
> received a C&NW crew at Wood St.

What about the eastbound trains? (I'm thinking MILW-100, SF-100, RI-100)  Did these terminate at Huntington/Marion? I know at the end (1974-1976) SF-100 ran straight through to Croxton. Any rhyme or reason for this?