(erielack) west shore Conrail inspection train

I worked for Kay Fries in Stony Point, NY (near West Haverstraw) in 1982.

The factory made specialty chemicals; the former West Shore railroad came right through their property, between the administration buildings and the factory itself.

One day I was surprised to see an 8-10 car inspection train pulled by an E unit diesel. Half the cars were heavyweights and half were light weights. Everything was painted Conrail blue and the last car, an observation, had brass railings.

A Conrail employee told me that some big wigs were considering bringing a commuter railroad to those tracks.

There was rail service into Hoboken from other parts of Rockland county (former Erie lines) at that time.

I lived in Congers, maybe 6-8 miles south of Stony Point. From where I lived here was bus service to the George Washington bridge bus terminal where you could enter the New York City subway system. The trip from Congers to down town NYC took about 50 minutes.

Ed