Re: (erielack) west shore Conrail inspection train

FYI That E unit would have been CR 4022, ex Erie/EL 833.

Joshua

> I worked for Kay Fries in Stony Point, NY (near West Haverstraw) in 1982.
>
> The factory made specialty chemicals; the former West Shore railroad
came right through their property, between the administration buildings
and the factory itself.

> One day I was surprised to see an 8-10 car inspection train pulled by
an E unit diesel. Half the cars were heavyweights and half were light
weights. Everything was painted Conrail blue and the last car, an
observation, had brass railings.

> A Conrail employee told me that some big wigs were considering
bringing a commuter railroad to those tracks.

> There was rail service into Hoboken from other parts of Rockland
county (former Erie lines) at that time.

> I lived in Congers, maybe 6-8 miles south of Stony Point. From where I
lived here was bus service to the George Washington bridge bus terminal
where you could enter the New York City subway system. The trip from
Congers to down town NYC took about 50 minutes.