RE: (erielack) gasoline and distribution

I did a quick search on the archive database at Steamtown on "gasoline".
While only a fraction of our archives are on the computer and searchable, I
thought you might be interested in the results.  Each one of these listings
reflect a folder in the archives.

Pat
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|
|                                               |             |          |
|                      Title                    |     Dates   |    File  |
|                                               |             |   Unit#  |
|                                               |             |          |
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|
|                                               |             |          |
|   Erie RR--A.F.E. #C008485--Installation of   |   1926 -    |   005-F0 |
|   10, 500 gallon gasoline tank underground at |   1928      |   66     |
|   Meadville, PA                               |             |          |
|                                               |             |          |
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|
|                                               |             |          |
|   Erie RR--A.F.E. #C008575--Installation of   |   1926 -    |   005-F0 |
|   Bowser gasoline pump and tank at Moyer's    |   1927      |   76     |
|   Siding, PA, VS 25-PA                        |             |          |
|                                               |             |          |
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|
|                                               |             |          |
|   Erie RR--A.F.E. #C011042-Purchase of        |   1929      |   011-F0 |
|   gasoline driven painting unit for New York  |             |   80     |
|   Divisions and Side Lines, Paterson, NJ      |             |          |
|                                               |             |          |
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|
|                                               |             |          |
|   Erie RR--A.F.E. #C011043-Purchase of        |   1929      |   011-F0 |
|   gasoline driven concrete mixer for New York |             |   81     |
|   Divisions and Side Lines, Paterson, NJ      |             |          |
|                                               |             |          |
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|
|                                               |             |          |
|   Erie RR--Contract #8389--Erie Railroad      |   1939      |   032-F0 |
|   Company and New Jersey Service Stations,    |             |   38     |
|   Incorporated--Covering sites for modern     |             |          |
|   gasoline service stations at Jersey City,   |             |          |
|   NJ ( 1939 )                                 |             |          |
|                                               |             |          |
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|
|                                               |             |          |
|   Erie RR--Contract #2272--Erie RR and        |   November  |   200-F0 |
|   American Acid & Alkali Co. [Bradford        |   30, 1907  |   65     |
|   Gasoline Co.] - siding, Bradford, PA;       |             |          |
|   cancelled, Apr. 26, 1938                    |             |          |
|                                               |             |          |
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|
|                                               |             |          |
|   Erie RR--P.R. #5505--East End Station, Tool |   1929-1930 |   325-F0 |
|   House and Gasoline Storage Tank--Belvidere, |             |   15     |
|   NY                                          |             |          |
|                                               |             |          |
|-----------------------------------------------+-------------+----------|

Total Records: 7

                      "Joshua"
                      <mail_@_joshuakblay.c        To:       "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"
                      om>                         <paultup_@_lucent.com>, "'Joshua'"
                      Sent by:                    <mail_@_joshuakblay.com>, "'Edward Mines'"
                      erielack-owner_@_list         <ed_mines@yahoo.com>, erielack@Lists.Railfan.net
                      s.elhts.org                cc:       (bcc: Pat McKnight/STEA/NPS)
                                                 Subject:  RE: (erielack) gasoline and distribution

                      08/17/2005 01:08 PM
                      AST
                      Please respond to
                      "Joshua"

Yes!  I know the 2 or 3 I am thinking of had sidings.

Joshua

> > How about fuel dealers in individual towns?  I think of at
> > least 2 or 3
> > in Cortland, NY during the DL&W era.
>
> Thanks to Ed Mines for bringing up this interesting topic. I guess my
mindset is in "today" terms, where when you have a product, you ship it
to a large regional distribution center and then truck it out to local
dealers. It works for gas this way, as well as a host of other things,
from appliances to clothes. Everything seems to work on a
macrodistribution level.

> In the steam era, I would assume that things worked more on a
microdistribution level, where instead of consolidating product in one
spot and then shipping from that point, it would appear that the
manufacturer (or refinery, in this case) would ship product out in tank
cars destined for individual customers. Am I making a correct assumption?

> If that's the case, then in Joshua's scenario above, the fuel dealers
would be the ones getting the tank cars?

>            - Paul

- --