RE: (erielack) gasoline and distribution

> How about fuel dealers in individual towns?  I think of at
> least 2 or 3
> in Cortland, NY during the DL&W era.

Thanks to Ed Mines for bringing up this interesting topic. I guess my mindset is in "today" terms, where when you have a product, you ship it to a large regional distribution center and then truck it out to local dealers. It works for gas this way, as well as a host of other things, from appliances to clothes. Everything seems to work on a macrodistribution level.

In the steam era, I would assume that things worked more on a microdistribution level, where instead of consolidating product in one spot and then shipping from that point, it would appear that the manufacturer (or refinery, in this case) would ship product out in tank cars destined for individual customers. Am I making a correct assumption?

If that's the case, then in Joshua's scenario above, the fuel dealers would be the ones getting the tank cars?